Venetian Research Program
for Individual Scholars
The Foundation awards travel grants to individual scholars to support historical research on Venice and the former Venetian empire, and for the study of contemporary Venetian society and culture. Disciplines of the humanities and social sciences are eligible areas of study, including (but not limited to) archaeology, architecture, art, bibliography, economics, history, history of science, law, literature, music, political science, religion, and theater.
One of the Venetian Research Program grants awarded will be designated as the Henry A. Millon Award in Art and Architectural History.
Here is a list of the 2016-2017 Venetian Research Program Grantees.
Funds may be used for travel to and residence in Venice and the Veneto; transportation within the Veneto; and specific research expenses.
Past grantees only may apply for travel and research outside of the Veneto. Scholars who have already received and accepted a Delmas grant for their work in Venice and the Veneto are eligible for subsequent, one-time grants of up to $3,000 (one month maximum) to work exclusively on Venetian materials in other libraries or museums. The proposed study must be related to the previous Delmas grant.
Eligible applicants must:
- be citizens or permanent residents of the United States*
- have experience in advanced research at the graduate level or equivalent
Applications will be entertained for grants up to a maximum of $20,000 for a full academic year. Grants for the maximum amount are rarely awarded, and successful applicants are frequently awarded less than the amount requested. Award amounts are based on length of stay, plus travel and research costs.
Application Timeline for 2017-2018:
- Applications open October 1, 2016 and are due by December 15, 2016.
- Letters of recommendation may arrive after the deadline, but please work to ensure their arrival before the end of December.
**There is a slight change in this requirement, please review the guidelines thoroughly.
- The awards will be announced at the end of February 2017.
- Awarded projects must be completed by the end of September 2018.
How to Apply:
The Foundation is now using a two-step online application form. Step 1: Register by providing your contact information and creating a login. Step 2: Fill in the online application prior to the December 15 deadline. After your application has been submitted, you may log in to monitor the arrival of your Letters of Recommendation.
* Citizens and permanent residents of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth are eligible for Venetian study awards made by the Delmas Foundation’s British and Commonwealth Advisory Board. See the application guidelines and instructions for this program. The contact for British and Commonwealth applications is firstname.lastname@example.org.